Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Announcing the Move

Gethsemane Evangelical Lutheran Church

Sunday July 6, 2008

My dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

I want to thank you for the deep joy of being able to share the love of Christ Jesus with you these past five years. It has been an honor and a gift to be yoked with you in discipleship here at Gethsemane Lutheran Church. I have treasured serving you as pastor. And the joy that my family, in particular, has felt as a part of this community makes this announcement all the more bittersweet for me.

My wife, Ann Christin, and I have chosen to accept a call for her to serve at a church in her home country of Northern Norway. September 14th, 2008 will be our last Sunday here.

In seminary they taught us theology, Biblical studies, preaching and pastoral care. As I prepared to leave seminary one of my favorite professors shared with me this valued bit of wisdom. “Just love the people you are called to serve,” he said. What he didn’t prepare me for was how much love would be given in return.

I thank you—in Christ’s name—for loving my children, my family and me as pastor. It has been good to journey with you.

My vision for ministry on the Iron Range has long been that we can serve others in Christ’s name much better together than we can alone. The area ELCA Lutheran churches have been doing this well in the shared Senior High Youth Ministry that I founded three years ago known as “Project12”. As the people of Gethsemane Lutheran we are discerning where God is guiding us in shared ministry with the people of Our Savior’s Lutheran Church. I encourage our communities to continue walking together in faith as we prayerfully consider what this might entail. I would deeply enjoy being a part of this journey together; the consideration of the future of this shared ministry has had no bearing on my family’s acceptance of this call to Norway. I strongly support this venture.

You know what this means, then? Now you can all save your nickels and visit us in the land of the Midnight Sun! (The coffee will be strong…is there any other way?)

God’s peace to you all.

Pastor Darin G.E. Elvemo


1 comment:

britta said...

I will miss you a ton Pastor D...we gotta go for coffee one last time, perhaps in August? By then I should have a letter done that I have started to write!

You have touched a lot of souls here and brought others together, friendships that may have never formed and lives that may have never changed. Thank you.

Peace~